Considering renaming this one, “Accidental but Delicious Coconut Sweet Potato Soup!”
This recipe started out as a Coconut Butternut Squash Soup, until I realized I had procrastinated too long and my squash had gone bad. So I did some improvising… and what’s the one thing I always have? A bunch of yummy sweet potatoes.
I wasn’t too confident in this when I started out, I had already bought the ingredients for the butternut squash soup, but would the flavors pair well with the potato? I was pleasantly surprised that the soup was
and both sweet and savory!
This one will please the whole fam and can be made in just 30 minutes!
Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
4 small-medium sweet potatoes or yams
2 cans coconut milk
1 tsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion
1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
- First things first, peel the potatoes and chop into cubes. Cut the onion in whatever fashion you prefer, everything will get blended later anyway.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over med-high heat and begin sweating the onion.
- Add the potato cubes as well as the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir and continue to cook for about five minutes.
- Add both cans of coconut milk to the pot, stir, and cover. Once soup comes to a full boil, lower the heat to medium.
- Cook for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Blend using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor.
- Serve and enjoy! (I topped mine with pumpkin seeds)
Definitely give this one a try and let me know what you think!
Keep it made with love,